Monday, March 10, 2014

SHORT TERM PAIN CREATES LONG TERM HAPPINESS: #100 HAPPY DAYS: DAY 13 MOP YOUR OWN MESS


Do you know that the 100 happy days challenge is fun but not easy? I was flying (which means working) for 4 days straight, day and night with minimum time for myself in between those flights, but not forgetting the commitment that I had with myself to complete the 100 Happy Day challenge. Which means I shouldn't forget taking pictures of what is making me smile each and everyday.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the challenge, but the tricky part is to find that "ONE" special moment that makes you smile even on an ordinary day. So what I am trying to say is, in those 4 days of tiring but beautiful hours of work that even when I am already crawling to my bed hungry for sleep, I have to stop and pause… 

and say to myself WAITTTTTTT…I haven't took a picture of what is making me happy today. Then the creative thinking starts. Even when I was so hungry and dying to eat because I was also detoxing in one of those 4 days of work, I have to pause and take a picture of the food or the drink I am eating because it is making me smile and it is already my DAY 12.. :)

But you know what I have realized? (which is my favorite sentence because self awareness is very important)

         "Short term pain creates long term pleasure"

I arrived this morning from my flight with no sleep and have 4 days of freedom (meaning 4 days off) in front of me and realize that the only plan I have today was to have my flat cleaned by a cleaner of which he is not available, so I guess I am stuck with the chore to myself.

What is so fun about that? I particularly don't enjoy cleaning my own mess that is why I leverage and let someone else do it for me, so I can do something well worth my time.  

But I've realized (which I am saying this again because self awareness is a favorite line of mine) that IN LIFE we will experience 2 different kinds of PAIN.
           
              One is THE PAIN OF DISCIPLINE
                                 OR
             Second is THE PAIN OF REGRET

The PAIN OF DISCIPLINE outweighs more the PAIN OF REGRET.


Let me explain this further.


Mopping and cleaning in particular creates short term pain because I don't enjoy it. I am tired from work, the last thing I wanted to do is to clean even though its already "jungle" out here.

I'd rather go out into the world and enjoy my time with friends, eat great food, drink beer or whatever we like to do to unwind. The last thing I wanted to do, which I am sure it goes for everyone as well is to clean thy room.

But this short term pain only leads to long term pleasure.

Do you know the saying that a cluttered room or office space is a reflection of ones mind? Well, that goes for my room, so I don't want people to think of me as having a "dirty mind" because I have a "dirty room" you get what I mean?!

So I delayed the instant gratification by setting a time to clean the room today which brings me long term pleasure because who doesn't enjoy sleeping in a clean room that can last for a week?

This is what I mean by the PAIN OF DISCIPLINE. Delaying the instant gratification for long term pleasure. For example Leaving a relationship because it is already destructive in the long term, saying NO to that chocolate cake at the moment because you are trying to lose weight, enduring the pain of not smoking when stressed in exchange for that long term health benefits etc…

While on the other hand, THE PAIN OF REGRET covers the pain by rewarding thyself of instant gratification which makes me realize (another realization right there) that

       "Short term PLEASURE creates long term PAIN"

I may have chosen (as a simple example) to not have cleaned my room today and just enjoy my time with friends for a few hours and end up coming home sleeping in "jungle room" for the whole night.
To spend so much money at the moment and wonder why am I broke at the end of the month? To say YES with eating every chocolate CAKE you encounter and wonder why am I not losing any weight?
To enjoy the short term gratification of complaining every moment you got and wonder why I don't have any friends left?! Do you see what I mean?

SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE always experience THE PAIN OF DISCIPLINE.
UNSUCCESSFUL PEOPLE always falls into the trap of THE PAIN OF REGRET.         

Every moment and every decision we make with our TIME always lead to something GREAT or something Mediocre. And this long explanation of mine led me with the decision today to just MOP MY OWN MESS….#100 HAPPY DAYS DAY 13


No comments:

Post a Comment